Tuesday 25 September 2012

Baja Fish



Let me start out by saying my first time cooking these was a disaster. Like Twister, Towering Inferno, Poseidon Adventure and From Justin to Kelly all rolled into one. It was mostly not my fault - I just forgot that I'd cooked potatoes in my pot and neglected to wash it. So when I tried to heat the oil for deep frying the fish, the pot was not pleased. Nor was my nose, after smelling burnt starch (hint: it's the worst thing ever). After destroying my pot, I had to improvise. I used a frying pan with about 1/2 inch of oil, making sure to turn the fish after about 1.5 minutes. It worked out so well, I think I'll stick with this method. And avoid burning starch PTSD.

But back to the fish. This is a very simple recipe for a beer battered white fish. You can serve it with anything fresh and crispy - think cabbage, apple, white sauce. I did add a little Sriracha because I was missing the mouth destroying heat of my usual tacos. I think it worked out pretty well.




I forgot to take a picture of the frying, so please enjoy this owl. 


Baja Fish Recipe

Serves: About 10-12 tacos                 Cook Time: 15 minutes

2 Tilapia filets 
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup beer (I used tangerine beer, but anything other than dark beer works)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic salt

White Sauce

1/4 cup mayo
1/4 cup sour cream
Dime-sized squirt of Sriracha
2 tsp lime juice

Shredded cabbage
Green apple
Cilantro
Sriracha

Oil Yourself Up

Fill a pan with vegetable oil about 1/2 inch deep. Pre-heat to 350 degrees F. If you don't have a thermometer to check the temperature, you can just stick the handle of a wooden spoon into the oil. If bubbles appear on the surface of the spoon, you should be good to go. 

Prep with the Fishes

In a bowl, whisk together flour, beer, salt and garlic salt. Thinly slice the tilapia filets into pieces about 2 inches x 1/2 inch. Dip the filets into the batter and coat evenly. Let the excess drip off, then fry in the oil for 2-3 minutes (turning at 1.5 minutes). You want the outside to look golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel to dry. 

Serve It Up

Mix together ingredients for the White Sauce and transfer to a piping bag or squirt bottle if you want it to look nice on the taco. Julienne the apple into thin pieces. Chop cabbage and cilantro. Serve 1-2 piece(s) of fish on a corn tortilla, topped with cabbage, apple, cilantro and white sauce. Option to add more Sriracha on top. 

No comments:

Post a Comment