Tuesday 2 October 2012

Pico De Gallo



We've known each other for a few posts now - we've laughed and eaten and made lots of pop culture references that probably have no place in a cooking blog. And as you've gotten to know me, I feel like it's become abundantly clear I love spicy foods. I won't deny it - if I could enter the Simpsons universe, I would waste no time trying the Guatemalan Insanity Pepper and spend all my days hang out with Coyote Johnny Cash. Who wouldn't? But I am a woman of depth. I also like a simple taste once in a while - like the Pico de Gallo.

Pico de Gallo is a tomato-based salsa that isn't hot at all, so it's a great topping to try with spice-adverse friends. It pairs well with fish and vegetarian tacos, but you can put it on anything if you want to your taco to read "bright and fresh" rather than "mouth destroying-ly hot." Best of all, it's hella easy to make, so let's try it!




Pico De Gallo Recipe

Serves: Party-size bowl (about 4 cups)                Prep time: 10 min.
         
2 large tomatoes
1 red onion
1 jalapeno
1/2 cup cilantro
1 lime, juiced
kosher salt and pepper to taste

Dice the tomatoes and onions. Finely chop the jalapeno and cilantro. Combine in a bowl. Juice a lime over the contents (about 1 tbsp) and add salt and pepper to taste. Mix well. Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving. See how easy that was?



No comments:

Post a Comment